June 24, 2010

30 Days Faceless Day 18

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

It's easy to love those who already love us. The hard thing is to love when no one is loving back; loving your "enemies". This is something that has always been hard for me. Usually, I get along with everyone pretty well. But God always places that one person in my life that I don't seem to get along with. You could say that He is trying to tell me what I need to work on. My mom says there will always be that one person.

It is easy to say one sarcastic comment to another person't sarcastic comment, one snide remark to another snide remark...but Romans 12:17-18 says: "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."

I remember my mom always quoting verse 18 to my brothers and I. "As far as it depends on YOU, live at peace with everyone." It depends on you, not the other person. There is no excuse...no "but he..." or "but she.." I don't ever see that written in the Bible. Ever.

The message version of verses 17-18 say this: "Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody."

"Discover beauuty in everyone" reminds me of a quote in the movie "Lord, Save us from your Followers". It says: "If you love someone, you will go out of your way to find the best in them."

I love that quote. And it is something that I am trying to keep with me this week, and throughout my life. I'm trying to find the best in everyone, even in my "enemies".

No comments:

Post a Comment