July 13, 2010

30 Days in the Word Day 6

The last month and a half I have doubted the power of love. I knew God loved me. But was it really possible for anyone else to? Or for me to really love anyone else? But, the last month and a half God has been showing me His word and His take on love. Guess what? It's real.

It seems whenever I read scripture in Bible studies or youth groups or at church we come across love...love God..love others. This was something that stuck out to me yet again this past sunday. And I thought "Oh. I have heard that before..." God is probably up in heaven saying "YOU THINK!"

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (Ephesians 5:1-2 NIV)

"Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that." (Ephesians 5:1-2 THE MESSAGE)

That is an extraordinary command. Watch God. You are the child. He is your father. He knows what He is doing. Imitate Him. Learn a life of love.

I think that is what God wants from me right now; To learn a life of love. God is saying, "Stop thinking about only yourself. Stop wallowing in your own sorrow. Stop doubting what you know is true. Start thinking of others. Start being selfless. Start thinking about what others need."

I've been thinking about the second greatest command in the Bible. The first is love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, and strength. The second is love your neighbor as yourself. As yourself? A lot of people say you need to be able to love yourself first before you can start loving you neighbor. But you already love yourself! It's not something that you need to work on. When you are hungry, you go eat food. When you are tired, you sleep. When you are dirty, you take a shower. We love ourselves quite enough; perhaps a little too much sometimes. We spend countless hours worrying about OURselves and taking care of OUR needs. By loving our neighbor as ourselves, we are thinking of their needs as much as we think of ours. Worrying about them and taking care of them as much as we do ourselves.

I need to spend my time learning to live a life of love and selflessness. I want to be like Jesus and imitate him. I pray the Lord gives me wisdom. Ephesians 5:15-17 (NIV) says: "Be very careful then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

The message says: "So watch your step. Use your head. Make the most of every chance you get. These are desperate times! Don't live carelessly, unthinkingly. Make sure you understand what the Master wants."

Live a life of love.

1 comment:

  1. true words..can't go wrong imitating Jesus. What an extravagant lover of people.
    Ali, I'm lovin how you are letting God work in your heart.
    mom

    ReplyDelete