July 7, 2010

30 Days Faceless Day 30

I have come to the end of my facebook fast.

30 days without facebook.

720 hours faceless.

It was extremely irritating at times, I have to admit. But it was also extrememly freeing. Do you know the feeling when you realize you don't actually have to do something and you are free to do many other things that make you feel so much more accomplished and happy? Well, that's how it feels.

During this time I have realized that I can live without facebook. If, for some reason, the creators of this social networking site decided to shut it down, I wouldn't die. If I can go thirty days, I can go a lifetime. Besides, I did spend the first fourteen years of my life without it.

Up until this year, I have never really fasted from anything before. Once, when I was little, I fasted from lunch. I told my mom that God wanted me to. Being a constantly ravenous child, I am sure this was difficult for me at the time. But I don't remember other times I have fasted. A few years ago I did the thirty hour famine, but it wasn't a highlight in my life.

In April God spoke to me and told me to fast from makeup. Ever since then I have been striving to look more like Him. I have been striving to deny myself, take up my cross, and follow Him; denying my selfish desires and trying to put Him first in my life. I am not going to lie. It is stinkin hard. But Jesus never said it would be easy, He just said it would be worth it.

I had thought about taking a break from this blog for a while, but God searched my heart again. And I will be starting another 30 days of something new. I will write about that tomorrow.

As for facebook, I will limit myself to a max of 30 minutes a day for starters. I might realize that this is even too much.

1 comment:

  1. YAY ! you did it - 30 days faceless. I sorta laughed when you started -- b/c someone in Topeka fasted from fb for Lent this year - she made the front page ! But your fast was totally different - you were spending your time more wisely - so your fast had a purpose, not just a flaunt this - in your face - kind of "fast". . . Thanks for sharing your soul ! love Aunt LA

    ReplyDelete