July 2, 2010

30 Days Faceless Day 25

Have you ever read the Bible and thought "this is ridiculous". I know I have.

In Mark chapter one, Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilea. He saw two brothers, who were fishermen, casting their nets into the sea. He called out to them "Come, follow me and I will make you fisher's of men." They dropped their nets and everything they were doing, and followed him. Again this happened further down the shore as Jesus kept walking. He saw two more fishermen who were casting nets with thier father. He called out to them and they dropped what they were doing, left their father with the hired men in the boat, and followed him.

Now, am I the only one who sees this as crazy? These men didn't even know Jesus. He was a stranger to them. He wasn't well known yet at all. He was just a carpenter's son and few knew him.

If I was at my job, at the java house, and some stranger came in that I have never seen before, and told me to follow him, I would have raised my eyebrows and thought he was insane. I would not have followed him.

What about the two men's father who they were with? I bet he was thrilled...his sons just left without a word and folllowed some stranger. He must have thought they were rebellious, ungrateful sons.

Why did they do it? Why did they drop everything for someone they never met?

1 comment:

  1. "Our God is in the heavens; he does whatever he pleases" (Psalm 115:3). When God undertakes to fulfill his sovereign purpose, no one can successfully resist him.

    (quoted from John Piper)

    ReplyDelete