July 25, 2010

30 Days in the Word Day 18

Philippians 1:9-11 NIV

"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God."

This is exactly what I needed to hear. You may remember me talking about love in one of my past posts. Well it has been on my mind and on my heart for some time. God has been telling me to love others, but he has also been telling me to be wise. I am not going to lie. It has been frustrating me and confusing me trying to figure it all out. I am supposed to love others, but I am also supposed to do this wisely. I need to ask for wisdom and discernment so I know what is best and pure and righteous.

Philippians 1:9-11 THE MESSAGE

"So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God."

Reading the message version of these verses really woke me up to what it's all about. I've been struggling with learning how to love others and also struggling with personal issues that make me doubt how to go about loving. Paul says to learn how to love appropriately. It made me excited to read this. There is a way! Then Paul says "Use your head!" I need to be smart. I need to test myself and my feelings. My love needs to be sincere and intelligent, not gushing and foolish.

I don't know what else to say or add. The Word says it all. Let's just say I now have the right mindset.

1 comment:

  1. One of the verses I read the most and pray over my children the most
    mom

    ReplyDelete