July 20, 2010

30 Days in the Word Day 13

Jeremiah 3:1 "If a man divorces his wife and she leaves him and marries another man, should he return to her again? Would not the land be completely defiled? But you have lived as a prostitute with many lovers— would you now return to me?" declares the LORD.

I stopped short as I read the first verse of this chapter in Jeremiah. How could I just keep reading after that? I had to stop and gawk. Wow. I think God just used a two by four to smack me in the face.

I have never thought of myself as a prostitute...far from it. But isn't that what we are? We are just prostitutes. We have gone from one thing to another replacing God, who is supposed to be our first love. I have replaced him with friends, family, objects, internet, facebook, addictions, lust, books, makeup, movies, tv shows, my phone, myself...I could go on and on.

I have had many lovers. How can I even begin to be worthy of God? How can I come to him and not be horribly ashamed? How can I face him? How can I speak to him? How can I call him father when I have replaced him so many times?

Jeremiah 3:19-20
"I myself said, 'How gladly would I treat you like sons and give you a desirable land, the most beautiful inheritance of any nation.' I thought you would call me 'Father' and not turn away from following me. But like a woman unfaithful to her husband, so you have been unfaithful to me, O house of Israel," declares the LORD

He wants to be our father. He wants us to be his children. He wants to give us so much that we don't even deserve. When we turn away from him, he wants us back. He wants us. He is waiting for us. Let us fall at his feet..

No comments:

Post a Comment